Built in 1875 using white stone from La Turbie, the present-day Cathedral stands on the site of a 13th century church dedicated to Saint Nicolas and houses the tombs of the former Princes of Monaco.
Of particular interest are the retable (circa 1500) to the right of the transept painted by Louis Brea from neighbouring Nice, the Great Altar and the Episcopal throne in white Carrara marble.
Pontifical services take place on the major religious festivals such as the Feast of Saint Devote (27th January) and the National Holiday (19th November). On feast days and during religious music concerts, one can hear the magnificent four-keyboard organ which was inaugurated in 1976.
From September through June, a Mass is sung every Sunday at 10a.m, by "Les Petits Chanteurs de Monaco" and the singers of the Cathedral Choir School.